- Holland & Knight's International Tax Practice encompasses transactional planning, structuring, compliance, audits and litigation around the globe.
- Our attorneys structure sophisticated transnational joint ventures, corporate restructurings and an array of other financing transactions.
- Our international tax lawyers also provide estate planning guidance for foreign nationals and have substantial tax litigation experience that includes a number of high-profile cases.
Holland & Knight's International Tax Practice encompasses transactional planning, structuring, compliance, audits and litigation in numerous countries throughout the world. Our attorneys structure sophisticated transnational joint ventures, corporate restructurings and other types of financings. We advise both inbound and outbound clients on all aspects of federal, state and foreign tax planning and compliance, coordinating with local counsel when necessary.
Our global tax lawyers also provide estate planning counsel for foreign nationals and have extensive tax litigation experience that includes one of the largest tax cases to date (an international transfer pricing controversy).
- Represented EnCap Investments LP in international tax matters related to its $225 million investment in the formation of Mexico-based Sierra Oil & Gas, a funding that marked one of the first private investments in Mexico oil and gas since 1938 and led to the formation of Mexico's first independent exploration and production company; represented EnCap in its successful disposition of its interest in Sierra
- Represented Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Corporation in international tax matters related to the acquisition of oil and gas assets in Oklahoma from Chesapeake Energy Corp. for $1.02 billion
- Represented a corporate client in the sale of part of its chemical products businesses to a foreign corporation, providing analysis on federal income tax issues
- Served as international tax counsel to a Mexico-based company involved in supplying vessels and services to offshore oil and gas exploration and production projects
- Provided international tax advice to a national dairy company
- Provided counsel to a U.S.-based company seeking to establish operations in nine countries in the European Union on the implementation and execution of a cross-border acquisition and development strategy involving extensive tax planning
- Provided counsel to a publicly held corporation in the acquisition of a majority stock interest in a new company formed to acquire quarry, aggregate plant, distribution terminal, marine dredging and rail transportation operations, as well as related financing transactions, in a $37.5 million transaction
- Serve as U.S. tax and corporate counsel pertaining to a London-based investment manager in connection with U.S. investments, in particular oil and gas acquisitions, divestitures and restructurings
- Provide U.S. and international tax structuring advice to a producer of specialty sand products in the oil and gas industry in connection with its initial public offering in Canada and Rule 144A private placement in the United States
- Provide international tax counsel to a multibillion-dollar energy-focused group
- Provide international tax and strategic planning advice related to U.S. and Mexico oil exploration and production planning and implementation of projects
- Provide international tax planning advice related to midstream construction projects (e.g., pipelines, terminals, offshore production platforms) in Mexico and throughout Latin America
- Provide U.S. and international tax planning advice to a consumer products manufacturer and retailer based in Mexico regarding mergers and acquisitions activity and operations, as well as international logistics operations and logistics services in the U.S.
- Serve as international tax counsel on a multibillion-dollar U.S.-Mexico pipeline project for a Mexico-based energy company
- Serve as tax counsel to a Mexico-based multinational glass manufacturer for U.S. and international matters
- Serve as tax counsel to a Mexico-based multinational food products manufacturer for U.S. and international matters
- Provide tax advice to foreign nonprofit organizations and U.S. counterparts with respect to establishment and operations in the U.S., including fundraising operations and grants from U.S.-based foundations to foreign organizations
- Serve as tax counsel to a Latin American corporate group with over $2.5 billion of assets in a complex corporate reorganization
- Serve as tax counsel on two cross-border acquisition projects involving more than $250 million of transaction value, with a focus on the acquisition of approximately $200-plus million of gas concessions and the sale of an approximate $45 million oil concession
- Serve as tax counsel to several inbound real estate funds with foreign investors
- Serve as tax counsel to a U.S. cloud-based computing services provider with over 200,000 international customers in developing their international tax structure
- Serve as tax counsel to a Nasdaq-listed biotech company in its restructuring involving operations in Belgium, Israel, South Korea and Switzerland