Jeffrey W. Mittleman
Jeffrey W. Mittleman is a partner in the Business Section of Holland & Knight. He is also co-leader of the firm's Healthcare & Life Sciences Industry Group and a member of the Compliance Services Team. He practices in the areas of health, regulatory and corporate law. With more than 20 years of experience, he represents clients in a variety of sectors within the healthcare industry, including health plans (both fully and self-insured), PPOs, HMOs, insurers, pharmacy benefit managers, pharmaceutical manufacturers (including a number of companies specializing in oncology medicine), medical device companies, retail pharmacies, long-term care pharmacies, specialty pharmacies, compounding pharmacies, mail order pharmacies, wholesale drug distributors, dialysis companies, e-health, disease management and healthcare technology companies. Mr. Mittleman counsels clients in a variety of corporate and contractual transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, licensing, financing and services-related transactions. He also advises clients in fraud and abuse defense, the structuring of compliance and ethics programs, Medicare, Medicaid, ERISA, HIPAA, licensing, state insurance and managed care law. In addition, Mr. Mittleman has significant experience advising health plans in connection with the drafting of plan documents, ASO contracting and other regulatory issues.
Mr. Mittleman represents private equity firms in connection with investments in portfolio companies that are engaged in the healthcare and life sciences industries. He guides private equity clients through every stage of an acquisition, from evaluation of the opportunity and due diligence to deal structuring and negotiation to closing.
Mr. Mittleman has published several articles and spoken at conferences regarding various health law issues, including compliance, fraud and abuse, pharmacy law, drug distribution and managed care.
Mr. Mittleman holds various leadership positions within the firm, including serving on the firm's Directors Committee. From 2007-2017, he served as the Boston office Public & Charitable Services Partner and from 2009-2017, he served as the co-chair of the Boston office's Diversity Committee.
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D.
- The University of Vermont, B.A., Political Science
- New York
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association, Part D Task Force
- Boston Bar Association, Health Law Section Steering Committee, 2011-2012
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Health Law Advisory Council, American University's Washington College of Law
- Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America, New England Chapter, Board Member; National Board of Trustees
- Greater Boston Legal Services, Board Member
- Boston Center for Community Justice, Development Committee
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, Boston's Future Leaders
- Client Service All-Star, The BTI Consulting Group, Inc., 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Health Care Law, 2017-2021
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers magazine, 2016, 2017
- Chambers USA - America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Healthcare, 2014, 2015, 2017-2020
- Holland & Knight Public and Charitable Service All-Star, 2014
- Rising Star, Massachusetts Super Lawyers magazine, 2012