Insurance Disputes - Policyholders
- Holland & Knight’s Insurance Team assists insurance policyholders in devising practical, strategic solutions to their insurance needs related to both domestic and foreign insurance placements.
- From insurance coverage disputes and high-stakes litigation to policy analysis and coverage interpretation, our team represents the interests of insured clients throughout the world.
- Our diverse group of attorneys has a history of hands-on experience that enables us to provide clients with informed and well-rounded representation.
Insurance policyholders face a host of risks and complex legal challenges, some of which may be managed through insurance. Holland & Knight’s Insurance Team has a long history of helping clients anticipate risks, protect their interests and pursue potential recoveries. We use our in-depth knowledge, skills, experience and understanding of the insurance industry and the business world to defend and uphold our clients’ interests.
Our Insurance Team is well-equipped to handle the complex insurance matters that policyholders face, including those related to corporate, transactional, regulatory, litigation, policy analysis, coverage interpretation, risk management, compliance and public policy. We advise clients on regulatory matters, corporate governance, compliance, taxation, insolvencies and governmental investigations.
Our team regularly counsels clients on such matters as:
- title insurance matters, including disputes challenging title to clients’ property
- improving policy language and ensuring the maximum possible insurance recovery
- various insurance coverage litigation matters, including interpleader actions for the payment of insurance proceeds and suits challenging clients’ denial of benefits
- significant class action claims related to IPOs, derivative claims related to stock option backdating allegations and employment practices claims
- underwriting, claims handling and litigation matters related to traditional and new insurance products
- insurance and reinsurance agreements
- regulatory enforcement actions, investigations and contested hearings and regulatory counseling for all product lines
From insurance coverage disputes and high-stakes litigation to policy analysis, coverage interpretation and risk management counsel, our team has experience with policies written in the United States and overseas and collaborates with attorneys in other countries as necessary to protect the interests of clients around the world.
Protecting Your Interests
Because litigation can be costly and time consuming, our team attempts to resolve disputes at the earliest possible stage. However, if litigation or arbitration is in our client’s best interest or cannot otherwise be avoided, we have the experience and knowledge necessary to take the matter to court, mediation or arbitration. We have litigated, mediated and arbitrated disputes for insurance policy holding clients associated with nearly every aspect of insurance law, regulatory compliance and coverage issues, including:
- comprehensive general commercial liability insurance policies
- business liability insurance claims
- environmental coverage
- errors and omissions policies
- professional liability policies
- directors' and officers' liability
- business interruption and property loss
- product liability insurance claims
- sales practices liability
- construction defect liability
Our insurance/reinsurance litigators provide skilled and cost-effective representation for all types of matters, including:
- large loss environmental property damage claims and product liability insurance actions
- complex and varied multidistrict litigation and class action defense suits
- product development and product disputes
- environmental and toxic tort liability
- technology-related contract matters and e-discovery disputes
- health insurance coverage disputes
- ERISA disputes
- agency and broker disputes
- privacy disputes
- personal injury and wrongful death claims arising from every liability situation, including aviation and maritime matters
- directors’ and officers’ liability disputes
- insurance fraud and bad faith claims