Robert S. Hill
Robert S. Hill is a Dallas intellectual property (IP) attorney who focuses his practice on representing plaintiffs and defendants in complex patent litigation cases.
Mr. Hill has litigated in a wide variety of technology areas, including artificial intelligence platforms, image processing software, audio codecs, database software, e-commerce software, cache management software, wireless communications technology, enterprise communication systems, adaptive streaming technologies, electrical device shock protection technologies, global positioning systems, micro-electro-mechanical systems, medical imaging technology, data bus architecture, light emitting diodes, quantum dot technology, televisions, printer technology, hearing protection devices, chemical storage systems, specialty petrochemical products, fracking logistics technologies, wearable device technologies, pharmaceutical products, drug risk evaluation and mitigation strategies (REMS), and biotechnology products, including emulsion polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and other high-throughput sequencing and diagnostic technologies.
Mr. Hill also represents clients in cybersecurity investigations and litigation, as well as in other non-patent business litigation involving technology issues, including false advertising, theft of trade secret, breach of contract and software license audit matters. In addition, Mr. Hill has experience serving as lead counsel in antitrust litigation. Mr. Hill further has extensive experience litigating Hatch-Waxman cases.
Mr. Hill represents clients in district and appellate courts across the country, as well as before the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC) and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
Mr. Hill is a member of the 5G Technology Initiative and the Quantum Computing Initiative of Holland & Knight's Technology & Telecommunications Industry Sector Group. He regularly writes and speaks about the intersection of next generation wireless technologies with other emerging technologies, such as artificial intelligence/machine learning and blockchain technologies, and the legal issues associated with these areas. Mr. Hill is also a member of Holland & Knight's industry sector crossover initiative between the Technology & Telecommunications and Healthcare & Life Sciences groups, focusing on digital healthcare issues. Mr. Hill is further active in the green technology space, in particular with regard to carbon capture and alternative energy projects.
In addition, Mr. Hill advises clients on a broad range of IP transactional issues, including patent, copyright, trademark and trade secret licenses, joint development agreements, master service agreements, master technology agreements, co-manufacturing agreements, technology asset purchase agreements, front end engineering design (FEED) agreements, engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) agreements, and endorsement contracts. Mr. Hill also advises clients on IP and technology aspects of finance, venture capital, representation and warranty (R&W) insurance, contingent legal risk insurance, aircraft finance, and private equity merger and acquisition (M&A) transactions.
Prior to joining Holland & Knight, Mr. Hill handled IP matters for a global law firm in its Los Angeles office.
- Arrows Up LLC v. Oren Technologies LLC (PTAB). Represented petitioner Arrows Up, a bulk material logistics provider, in four related petitions for inter partes review of patentee Oren Technologies' patents; the challenged patents concerned various methods of accomplishing the transfer of bulk materials; following institution, the PTAB issued a final written decision determining that substantially all of the challenged claims were invalid, including all of the challenged independent claims
- Arrows Up LLC et al v. SandBox Logistics LLC et al (S.D. Tex.). Represented Arrows Up, a bulk material logistics provider, in a patent enforcement action against SandBox; the dispute implicated the structure of SandBox's bulk materials containers, in addition to numerous ancillary issues under federal and state law; the dispute was settled following lengthy and complex motion practice
- I.S.E.L. LLC v. Polyguard Products Inc. (N.D. Tex.); I.S.E.L. LLC v. Polyguard Products Inc. (PTAB). Defended Isel, an industrial lubricants manufacturer, in a patent infringement and false advertising dispute related to lubricating grease for refrigeration systems; following a strong petition for inter partes review, Polyguard dropped its patent infringement claims; after discovery, the parties reached a mutual settlement
- Seoul Semiconductor Co. Ltd. et al. v. Fry's Electronics Inc., (E.D. Tex.). Successfully litigated until the parties reached a settlement
- Blackberry Limited v. Avaya Inc. (D. Del). Represented Avaya in an eight-patent lawsuit brought by Blackberry against dozens of Avaya products; after development of defenses, obtained settlement favorable to Avaya
- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Harvard University, A.B., Biology, summa cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- All Federal Courts in Texas
- Enterprise Club of the American Enterprise Institute
- Dallas Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Law Section of the Dallas Bar Association
- Harvard Club of Dallas, Director, Vice President Representing Harvard Law School
- Harvard Business School Club of Dallas, Director
- Harvard Club of Dallas Healthcare Trends Initiative, Founder
- Dallas Committee on Foreign Relations, Director, Fellow
- Dallas CASA Young Professionals
- Texas Association of Health Plans
- Client Service All-Star, The BTI Consulting Group, Inc., 2020, 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2021-2024
- Holland & Knight Pro Bono All-Star, 2020, 2022
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Foundation, Life Fellow
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Harvard Journal of Law & Technology, Editor
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Harvard College Research Fellowship
- Harvard Detur Book Prize