Jesse C. Neil
Jesse Neil is a veteran healthcare attorney in Holland & Knight's Nashville office. Mr. Neil's background helps clients bridge two complex worlds – healthcare operations and public policy. He advises senior management and healthcare company boards regarding policy, governance and regulatory matters, and he serves as strategic counsel to healthcare providers throughout the U.S.
Mr. Neil has deep knowledge of guiding hospital systems through the merger, acquisition and restructuring process to adapt governance and operations to today's operating environment. He also helps healthcare companies, investors and lenders to avoid and address compliance issues related to the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act (FCA), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability (HIPAA), licensure requirements, and other state and federal healthcare laws.
Previously, Mr. Neil spent nearly a decade as a member of the in-house legal team at one of the largest publicly traded hospital companies in the U.S. He provided day-to-day guidance to corporate departments, hospitals, clinics and ancillary service providers throughout the country. Mr. Neil also managed the company's public policy advocacy strategy. In this role, he monitored federal and state policy developments, advised the company on operational risks and implemented strategies to position the company for success.
Mr. Neil has served as chair of the Tennessee Bar Association's Health Law Section. He was also previously appointed assistant attorney general for the Office of the Tennessee Attorney General. He led investigations into healthcare providers and pharmaceutical companies with respect to regulatory compliance. Mr. Neil started his career as an advisor to U.S. Senate Majority Leader William H. Frist.
- Lead counsel to Erlanger Health System in its restructuring from the 10th largest public hospital system in the country to a private, nonprofit 501(c)(3); engagement required changes to state law and included counseling on all applicable regulatory, corporate governance, labor and employment, tax, real estate, litigation, executive compensation, public policy and public financing matters
- Lead counsel to Lincoln Health System in Tennessee in a restructuring and partnership agreement with out-of-state nonprofit system Huntsville Hospital system, including attorney general approval
- Served as special regulatory counsel to a group of physician investors participating in a joint venture to design, develop, build and operate a state-of-the-art orthopedic hospital complex
- Represented a specialty healthcare lender in negotiating, documenting and closing the credit facilities for a nationwide nursing home, including negotiating complex intercreditor arrangements
- Represented Lorient Capital in its partnership with a Missouri-based, regional provider of long-term care, assisted living and geriatric services
- Represented Physical Rehabilitation Network in its equity interest sale by Silver Oak Services Partners to Gryphon Investors
- Represented Physical Rehabilitation Network (PRN) in its joint venture with MemorialCare on a network of nearly 20 full-service physical therapy centers
- Represented Audax in its acquisition of South Florida ENT Associates
- Assisted Capitol Pain Institute with selling a network of integrated pain management centers
- Served as transaction and healthcare regulatory counsel to Desert Radiology in its acquisition by Radiology Partners
- Represented Direct Radiology in the sale of its teleradiology platform to Royal Philips
- University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D.
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A.
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association Health Law Section, Past Chair
- American Health Law Association
- Davidson County Election Commission, Commissioner, 2016-2021
- Montgomery Bell Academy, Alumni Board Member, 2012-present
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Corporate Law, 2024