Keith M. Wiener
Keith M. Wiener is an attorney and partner in Holland & Knight's Atlanta office and serves as the firmwide leader of both the State and Local Government Procurement Team and Government Representation Team. Mr. Wiener is also the leader of the Georgia Government Contracts and Procurement Team.
Mr. Wiener practices in the areas of government law, state and local government contracts and procurement, public transportation, public-private partnerships (P3s), construction, transit, healthcare state procurement, government relations, request for proposal (RFP)/request for quotation (RFQ) compliance, bid proposals, bid protests and disputes, affirmative action, Disparity Studies, Minority-owned business enterprise (MBE), women-owned business enterprise (WBE), disadvantaged business enterprise (DBE), airport concessions disadvantaged business enterprise (ACDBE), Small Business Enterprise (SBE), Small Business Administration (SBA) and Equal Business Opportunity (EBO) programs, civil rights, Diversity and Inclusion, federal regulations located at 49 CFR Part 26, 49 CFR Part 23, public finance, administrative and regulatory law, public policy litigation and regulatory and federal litigation.
In addition, Mr. Wiener is active in the firm's Diversity and Inclusion Engagement Initiative.
Representation of Businesses in their Interaction With Governments. Mr. Wiener has more than 30 years of experience representing businesses that interact with state, local and federal governmental entities in the areas of RFPs, RFQs, bid protests, bid proposals, government relations, public transportation projects, healthcare procurement, government contract negotiations and transactions, construction law involving government projects, contract compliance, public finance, local, state and federal small business programs, and MBE/WBE/DBE/ACDBE/SDB/SBA/SBE programs and compliance. He also advises on U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), Federal Transit Administration (FTA), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) regulations, and commercial and government contract litigation. Mr. Wiener represents businesses in connection with their governmental procurement and contracting activities, including bid preparation, responses to RFPs, RFQs and invitations to bid (ITBs) for government projects and contracts, bid disputes and protests, contract negotiations and contract disputes.
State and Local Government Representation. Mr. Wiener advises businesses and governments on contracts and procurement matters involving public transportation, disparity studies, affirmative action, diversity and inclusion, MBE/WBE/DBE/ACDBE/SBE/SBA and social justice programs, DOT, FTA, FAA and FHWA regulations, construction, project management, government finance, contract compliance, public bidding, planning and community development, purchasing, public works, public and open records compliance, land use and zoning, and regulatory and administrative law. He engages in advice, investigations, negotiations, claims analysis, dispute resolution, mediation, arbitration and litigation concerning construction, administrative hearings, contracting and purchasing activities, bid preparation, bid disputes, bid protests, awards, ITBs, invitations for bid (IFBs) and RFPs. Mr. Wiener's government representation includes extensive experience providing advice and representation for departments and divisions that are responsible for contracting and purchasing activities, construction and project management, transit and transportation, public finance, public works, public buildings, water and wastewater treatment plants, community development, civil rights, bid preparation and evaluation, and contract compliance. He served for more than 20 years as outside assistant and first assistant county attorney for the largest county (population greater than 1 million) in the metropolitan Atlanta area.
Small and Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Programs, Minority- and Women-Owned Business Enterprise Programs, Disparity Studies and Diversity. Mr. Wiener has extensive experience advising and representing businesses and state and local governments – including municipalities, counties, departments of transportation and other transportation authorities, commissions, airports, and universities – in the areas of disparity studies, Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) and Small and Disadvantaged Business (SDB) programs, Airport Concession Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program (ACDBE), Minority- and Women-Owned Business Enterprises (MBE/WBE) programs, Small Business Enterprise Programs (SBE), race and gender neutral programs, and Small Business Administration (SBA) regulations, including compliance with local, state and federal laws, regulations and ordinances regarding DBE, ACDBE, SDB, MBE/WBE, SBE and SBA programs, and litigation relating to these programs. Mr. Wiener has been the Lead Legal Consultant on teams conducting more than 90 disparity studies nationwide and advising in the area of compliance with MBE/WBE/DBE/ACDBE/SBE/SBA, social justice and equal business opportunity programs, diversity, and the Federal DBE and ACDBE and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) programs.
Government Law, Contracting and Purchasing. Mr. Wiener's representation includes advice, consultation, public meetings and hearings, negotiation and litigation concerning the contracting and purchasing activities of governmental entities. His experience involves representation in various areas of government law, including finance, contract compliance, state and local government procurement, environmental and community development, building authority, project management, purchasing, public works, administration, transportation, education, healthcare, land use and zoning, and intergovernmental affairs.
Legislation Preparation and Thought Leadership. Mr. Wiener also has engaged in the preparation of legislation, including providing testimony concerning contract compliance, public works and purchasing bidding requirements, affirmative action and MBE/WBE/DBE/ACDBE/SBE participation programs, equal business opportunity and small emerging business programs, race and gender neutral business programs, equal employment opportunity (EEO) provisions and nondiscrimination provisions. He has written articles, made presentations and lectured at seminars, workshops and before various local, state and national organizations concerning the topics of government law, government contract compliance, federal DBE and ACDBE programs, disparity studies, civil rights, affirmative action, local and state DBE/MBE/WBE programs, and open records and meetings law.
- Emory University School of Law, J.D.
- Syracuse University, B.A., Political Science, magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa; special honors for leadership
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Court of Appeals of Georgia
- All State Courts in Georgia
- National Academy of Sciences, Transportation Research Board's (TRB) Standing Committee on Contracting Equity f/k/a Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBE)
- National Academy of Sciences, Transportation Research Board's (TRB) Standing Committee on Transportation Law
- National Academy of Sciences, Transportation Research Board's (TRB) Standing Committee on Contract Law
- International Municipal Lawyers Association, former member
- American Bar Association, Public Contracting, State and Local Government Law, Construction and Litigation Sections, former member
- State Bar of Georgia, Local Government Law, Government Attorneys, General Practice and Trial Law Sections
- Atlanta Bar Association, Litigation and Construction Sections
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Municipal Law, 2010-2021
- Georgia's Best Lawyers guide, Government – Municipal Law, 2010-2020
- One of Georgia's Most Influential Politically-Connected Attorneys, James Magazine, 2019, 2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated for 27 years
- Top Rated Lawyers in Construction Law, Georgia's Top Rated Lawyers, 2014, 2018
- Top Rated Lawyers Guide to Transportation Law, ALM Corporate Counsel, 2012
- Georgia Super Lawyers magazine, 2004-2005
- Emory University Law Journal, Emory University School of Law, Executive Editor
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society