Renewable and Alternative Energy
- As landmark legislation puts increased demands on developing renewable and alternative energy sources, Holland & Knight has built a team of diverse and innovative strategists to help you stay ahead in this historical area of energy law – we are literally shaping the direction of legal precedent governing many aspects of this field.
- Holland & Knight’s energy lawyers join forces with attorneys in other practice areas throughout the firm, forming the type of multidisciplinary teams often required to represent you on complex energy-related matters.
In the burgeoning field of renewable and alternative energy, few other law firms have the experience or depth of knowledge required to respond adequately to client demand for investing, operating, expanding or otherwise protecting their interests in this area.
Renewable and Alternative Energy Experience
With the enactment of the Energy Tax Incentives Act of 2005 and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, the emergence of the “renewable portfolio mandate,” and the ever-mounting concern over U.S. foreign oil dependence, the opportunity and demand for developing renewable and alternative energy sources has never been greater. Holland & Knight has responded to clients' needs, while literally shaping the direction of legal precedent governing many aspects of the field.
A Network of Legal Support
Holland & Knight’s energy law lawyers join forces with lawyers in other practices throughout the firm – building the type of multidisciplinary teams often required to represent clients on energy-related matters. From navigating the complex worlds of capital infusion, technology licensure, tax and regulatory issues, to handling broad-based project management and the complexities of renewable and alternative energy transmission access and infrastructure, to addressing the real estate, entitlements, land use and environmental needs – Holland & Knight lawyers are adept legal advocates and allies.
Our capabilities in the renewable and alternative energy field include:
- government advocacy experience at the federal, state and local levels
- federal appropriations work on behalf of business and government units for renewable energy project work
- extensive experience with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and PUC proceedings, permitting and policies
- experience with siting, land use and environmental advice
- current experience in the development and financing of active wind farms and wind farms under construction
- current experience in the development and financing of solar energy facilities
- renewable energy tax credit knowledge for leveraging benefits under the Internal Revenue Code
- federal, state and local tax dispute resolution
- debt and equity finance know-how
- corporate mergers, acquisitions, real estate and securities practice experience
From wind, bio-fuel, nuclear and solar energy projects, to energy investment fund development, Holland & Knight lawyers have critical know-how. We represent public utilities of all sizes, manufacturers of renewable energy components, photovoltaic cells, wind turbines, corporate investors, investment fund managers, financiers, project developers, industry advocacy groups and energy customers. Clients are represented efficiently and effectively, leveraging opportunity at the federal, state and local levels.