- Holland & Knight's International Energy Practice provides legal and business advice to energy industry clients around the globe, assisting clients in more than 80 countries on six continents.
- We have counseled a wide range of energy industry clients for more than a century, and our attorneys represent multinational and independent oil and gas companies, state-owned energy companies and sovereign governments, renewable energy companies and many others in the development of energy projects and the negotiation of commercial agreements, as well as the full spectrum of energy transactions.
- Our lawyers have a wealth of experience in complex international energy arbitration cases and have used their insight and deep industry knowledge to successfully resolve disputes for clients in arbitral bodies throughout the world.
For more than 120 years, we have counseled oil, gas and energy industry clients – those who explore, develop, produce, finance, store, market, transport and process energy resources. Holland & Knight's International Energy Practice provides legal and business advice to energy industry clients around the globe, and our attorneys have assisted clients in more than 80 countries on six continents.
The firm's attorneys provide a "comprehensive understanding of international oil and gas law."
– Client testimonial, U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" 2021 guide
To the world's energy industry, our international team is a formidable resource for legal and commercial assistance. The firm's clients include multinational and independent oil and gas companies, host government oil and gas companies, renewable energy companies, private power plants, energy industry service giants, refineries, petrochemical companies, financial institutions, and multinational drilling contractors and construction companies.
Holland & Knight's International Energy attorneys advise clients with regard to:
- drilling and service agreements, farmouts and joint operating agreements, project and multilateral financing, seismic agreements and offtake arrangements
- global expansion through the identification, negotiation and capture of oil and gas assets and companies
- complex acquisitions, divestments, trades and mergers
- large infrastructure projects, including engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contracts, oil and gas development projects, pipelines, refineries and liquefied natural gas (LNG) projects
- the negotiation and drafting of host government granting instruments, including production sharing, concession, license, service, joint venture and joint operating agreements
- natural gas and LNG sales, pipeline financing and construction, and other infrastructure, decommissioning and abandonment issues
- the development and preparation of legal and contractual regimes for host governments and national oil companies
- unitizations and boundary disputes
- multilayered international commercial and investment treaty arbitrations involving upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas issues
- issues involving U.S. sanctions, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), U.S. anti-boycott laws and import-export controls
- global energy and project finance
Experienced International Energy Counsel
Attorneys in our International Energy Practice bring a vast array of diverse experiences to bear when representing energy clients in the international context, including:
- years of in-depth, practical industry experience as external and in-house counsel for major international energy companies
- active participation in, including chairing or co-chairing, numerous model form drafting committees for the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN): joint operating agreement, accounting procedure, studying and bidding agreement, farmout agreement, confidentiality agreement, secondment agreement, and unitization and unit operating agreement drafting committees, as well as in the drafting of numerous other model form agreements
- experience acting as arbitrators in both commercial and investment treaty arbitrations